Friday, October 12, 2007

Yeah, I made something!

Anyone who knows me knows that when it comes to a sewing machine...I am an idiot. Yes, I own one-Josh gave me one for Christmas a couple of years ago. It has sewn a few things-the Christmas stockings from last year and a few other random projects. But for the most part it sits on the bottom shelf in my pantry room gathering dust. Well it has been dusted off and it has been used! Our ward had this adorable quilt project that was too cute to pass up...even for a crappy seamstress such as myself. So I signed up, bought fabric and batting, saved old jeans, dusted off the ol' sewing machine and off I went to the church. That night the girl in our ward showed us the basics and was there to get us started. Now I am also a talker and a group of us sat around the table kind of cutting out squares and attempting to get a quilt started. I headed home with a small but good attempt at starting this quilt. Josh bet me that I wouldn't get the thing finished and I told him that it was going to get finished and before the baby comes. The next week we were all supposed to get together to sew our squares together but it was also girls night out. I was faced with a terrible decision....sit and sew or get to eat dinner while it was hot?! So the quilt, of course, was put on the back burner again. The next day I saw the squares sitting on the kitchen table where I had left them the night before and something clicked. I cut squares for what seemed like eternity and started sewing, made a trip to the fabric store for more thread, and kept sewing. We didn't eat at the dinner table for 2 nights on account of the table becoming my own personal crafting space. But I am here to declare...it is FINISHED!!! Sure, it has flaws...just don't look too close. But for me-the hopeless straight stitch sewing queen that I am-is just happy to have it put together.

And on top of that I am a crazy list maker. Always have been. Always will be. I love post it notes. There are always a few scattered here and there reminding me of things or what not. Well...the wheels in my head have been turning. I try to go to sleep at night and remember something else I should probably get done before the baby gets here. So finally I sat down with a spiral notebook (because hey! post it notes aren't going to cut it for this one!) and wrote down everything that has been swirling around in my head. Things I have been meaning to do for months like clean out the freezer in the garage or organize the linen closet in the kids bathroom. Even Christmas stuff such as Christmas cards/birth announcements. (I actually finished those a couple of weeks ago-of course besides the picture and info 'cause I can't predict the future!!) But I am not showing a picture of those because several of you who read this will be getting one...it may not be before Christmas but it will be coming! But it is amazing how much better I sleep knowing that I have a complete list to keep me busy for the next 2 months...oh who are we kidding--between bathroom runs at 2 in the morning and crazy pregnant dreams...I am still not sleeping but at least the project list in my head has stopped!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

That totally sounded like me last month. I kept laying awake at night-- partially because I was too uncomfortable to sleep, and partly because I couldn't stop thinking about all I wanted to accomplish before the baby was born, so I made a list of everything (some big projects... some tiny things)that kept bugging me. The list was huge!
It felt nice to be able to have things to work on and to be able to check things off. Actually, I found the list today and was looking at it, I did all but a couple of things! Maybe I'll make Cameron do them now!

Lindsay and Mike said...

Hey, I tagged you on my blog. I didn't think your "to do" list was long enough, so I added one more thing for you to do! Check out my blog for the details!